Meet California will give four photographers the opportunity to road trip across the Golden State on a 10-day British Journal of Photography commission, in partnership with Visit California. All trip expenses will be covered and, amongst other prizes, each photographer will receive a £2,500 project grant.
While in California, the four competition winners will each produce a new body of work that responds to their experience traversing the vast and diverse destination. Steering clear of generic picture-perfect travel photography, each body of work should delve beneath the surface of California and reveal the daily occurrences and unexpected nuances, as well as the people and places, that give America’s Golden State its distinctive character.
Narrative-led bodies of work, which hone in on individual communities and activities, will be encouraged.
A carefully crafted itinerary will take the winning photographers to some of the most vibrant pockets of California. For a photographer, the diversity of the Golden State presents endless opportunity and inspiration. There are few places in the world that offer the vibrancy of its iconic cities – serving as global centres for art, entertainment and technology – and the beauty and tranquility of its Pacific coastline, sprawling redwood forests, vast deserts and towering mountain ranges.
Although each winning photographer will develop a standalone body of work, the practitioners will travel across California as a group. Working as a photographer can be notoriously solitary but Meet California will be a truly shared experience.
The all-expenses-paid trip will take place between 05 and 16 September 2018.
Deadline: Thursday 28th June, 11.59pm (BST)
The four winning photographers will each receive:
• A £2,500 project grant
• International return flights to California
• Paid expenses – food, domestic travel and accommodation – during the commission period
• A dedicated feature on BJP-online
• Promotion on Visit California’s digital channels
• Extensive coverage of the trip on BJP’s website and social media channels
Read the latest feature
Lakewood: Tomorrow’s city today
“Each week I would take my laundry to Lakewood, stick it in the washing machine, visit my mother for half an hour, and then go and photograph”
13 June 2018
• Your submission can be a completed project, work-in-progress or a mixture of your best single images.
• Please submit up to 10 images.
• This is an open call and there is no restriction on genre, theme (although please keep in mind the nature of the competition and prize) or when the work was produced.
• The competition is free to enter and open to anyone in the world over the age of 18.